STS-120 Flight Day 3 – Timeline
- Rendevouz with the International Space Station
- Rendevouz Pitch Maneuver Photography by the Expedition 16 Crew
- Melroy will perform the rendezvous pitch maneuver with Discovery about 600 feet below the station. This activity allows Anderson and Malenchenko to take detailed photographs of the underside of Discovery’s heat shield as it approaches the station. The images will be added to the ascent imagery and flight day 2 data being analyzed by engineers on the ground to verify the heat shield’s
- Docking to the Station’s Pressurized Mating Adapter-2
- Melroy then will move Discovery in for docking to the pressurized mating adapter at the end of the station’s Destiny laboratory.
- Hatch Opening and Welcoming
- Soyuz Seat Liner Swap and Expedition Crew Exchange by Anderson and Tani
- After hatches are opened, Tani and Anderson’s specialized seat liners will be exchanged inside the emergency‐return Soyuz spacecraft; signifying the crew members’ rotation between the space station and shuttle.
- Station-to-Shuttle Power Transfer System (SSPTS) Activation
- OBSS Unberth by Canadarm2
- Extravehicular Activity (EVA) 1 Procedure Review
- EVA 1 Campout by Parazynski and Wheelock
- Parazynski and Wheelock will enter the station’s Quest airlock for the overnight campout procedure to prepare for the first spacewalk on the next day. This procedure will be followed before each spacewalk.
Source: STS-120 Shuttle Mission Press Kit – PDF download
Astronauts install a truss on the space station (STS-113).
Phot credit: NASA
Day 3 Timeline (CBS News)
- 01:38 AM: Crew wakeup
- 02:58 AM: Rendezvous ops
- 08:33 AM: Docking
- 10:33 AM: Hatch opening
- 11:00 AM: Mission briefing
- 05:38 PM: Crew sleep begins
- 06:00 PM: Post-MMT briefing
- 07:00 PM: Highlights reel